Reading Ahead of Course:
The methodological development is described in (Wheaton et al., 2010a), the Wheaton (2008) thesis, and the Wheaton et al. (2010b) RRA paper. The Matlab version of the code (DoD 3) is provided as supplemental information with the ESPL paper so that readers can test or extend the code as they see fit for their purposes. The Milan et al. (2011) paper provides a nice overview of basic change detection methods and Williams (2012) provides a nice overview of DEM of Differencing.
- Wheaton JM, Brasington J, Darby SE and Sear D. 2010. Accounting for Uncertainty in DEMs from Repeat Topographic Surveys: Improved Sediment Budgets. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 35 (2): 136-156. DOI: 10.1002/esp.1886.
- Milan DJ, Heritage GL, Large ARG and Fuller IC. 2011. Filtering spatial error from DEMs: Implications for morphological change estimation. Geomorphology. 125(1): 160-171. DOI: 10.1016/j.geomorph.2010.09.012.
- Williams RD. 2012. DEMs of Difference. Clarke L and Nield JM (Eds), Geomorphological Techniques. British Society for Geomorphology: London, UK.
Follow Up Papers
Brasington J, Rumsby BT and Mcvey RA. 2000. Monitoring and modelling morphological change in a braided gravel-bed river using high resolution GPS-based survey. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 25(9): 973-990. DOI: 10.1002/1096-9837(200008)25:9<973::AID-ESP111>3.0.CO;2-Y
Brasington J, Langham J and Rumsby B. 2003. Methodological sensitivity of morphometric estimates of coarse fluvial sediment transport. Geomorphology. 53(3-4): 299-316. DOI: 10.1016/S0169-555X(02)00320-3
- James LA, Hodgson ME, Ghoshal S and Latiolais MM. 2012. Geomorphic change detection using historic maps and DEM differencing: The temporal dimension of geospatial analysis. Geomorphology. 137(1): 181-198. DOI: 10.1016/j.geomorph.2010.10.039.
Lane SN, Chandler JH and Richards KS. 1994. Developments in Monitoring and Modeling Small-Scale River Bed Topography. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 19(4): 349-368. DOI: 10.1002/esp.3290190406.
Lane SN, Westaway RM and Hicks DM. 2003. Estimation of erosion and deposition volumes in a large, gravel-bed, braided river using synoptic remote sensing. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 28(3): 249-271. DOI: 10.1002/esp.483.
- Martin Y and Church M. 1995. Bed-Material Transport Estimated from Channel Surveys - Vedder River, British-Columbia. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 20(4): 347-361. DOI: 10.1002/esp.3290200405.
- Passalacqua P, Belmont P, Staley D, Simley J, Arrowsmith JR, Bodee C, Crosby C, DeLongg S, Glenn N, Kelly S, Lague D, Sangireddy H, Schaffrath K, Tarboton D, Wasklewicz T, Wheaton J. 2015. Analyzing high resolution topography for advancing the understanding of mass and energy transfer through landscapes: A review. Earth Science Reviews. 148. pp. 174-193. DOI: 10.1016/j.earscirev.2015.05.012
- Wheaton JM, Brasington J, Darby SE, Merz JE, Pasternack GB, Sear DA and Vericat D. 2010. Linking Geomorphic Changes to Salmonid Habitat at a Scale Relevant to Fish. River Research and Applications.26: 469-486. DOI: 10.1002/rra.1305.
- Wheaton JM. 2008. Uncertainty in Morphological Sediment Budgeting of Rivers. Unpublished PhD Thesis, University of Southampton, Southampton, 412 pp. Chapters 4 & 5.
NOTE: When Participants are on campus, they will be able to download the above papers free of charge.